Thursday 4 October 2012

So it begins...

I wrote my two articles for the school paper today!  By some rarity all I had for homework was a sole math problem, so I had lots of time to work on the two 300-word pieces.  I'm glad I had this luxury of time, because they took so much longer than I'd expected.  One was on the subject of teen books to be released in the near future, and it was considerably time consuming to research, since writing solely on the books I knew are coming out soon would probably give the article an extreme slant towards the realms of dystopian fiction and fantasy (with just a dash of pop physics).  The research was actually quite a plus, all things considered, as I've found quite a few books that I hadn't heard of prior to this point that seem right up my alley.  Still, it was a massive time sink for a measly 300 words (well, 303 to be precise), especially since I had already written the first half of the article last night.  The other was on the fall lineup of comedy shows, with short reviews on the premieres of How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory, and then a few lines on other upcoming sitcom dates.  To review those of course necessitated rewatching the episodes, and then finding upcoming shows required still more research, as again I didn't want to have the shows mentioned completely slanted towards the ones I prefer.  Suffice to say, writing a total of 602 words (as the TV article ended up totaling 299) consumed pretty much my entire evening.  Nevertheless, it did feel rather satisfying to complete the small projects, and hopefully with a bit more practice and proficiency these articles will start to come more naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment