Tuesday 16 October 2012

Ringette adventures: continued

On Saturday I had my second provincial ringette tryout, and things are getting better already.  Endurance has never been my strong suit -- I've always been more of a strategist going in for quick spurts than someone who's able to keep at top pace for an extending period of time -- but this season is already proving to be the first step in changing that.  I am proud to announce that I experienced no lightheadness or dizziness, and I was no more exhausted than everyone else as the practice wore on.  Although I suppose that isn't saying much; it was another tough practice, and everyone was breathless by its end.  Still, compared to how horribly out of shape I was last week, I feel good about my progress thus far.  I did end up running some hills after my last post, although I only did one loop, so I'll try to do two next time and so on to work my stamina up.  I also had my first house league practice last week, which wasn't a big exertion compared to provincial tryouts, but every little bit of ice time helps.  I'm still unsure about whether or not I'm going to make the team; there were quite a few older, first-year-university girls at this tryout that hadn't been at the first one.  I wouldn't say I'm the poorest player there; there are at least two girls who I would say I'd rank above, and there's another few people with whom I'd probably be in the same skill bracket, but even if I do make the team, it'll be a challenge to keep up.  I'm kind of used to being one of the best, so that's a bit of hubris I'm going to have to get over if I want to improve and meet the challenge this season will pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment