Wednesday 10 October 2012

GISHWHES, you say?

Around this time last year I saw a girl online talking about a worldwide scavenger hunt in which she was participating, and while at the time it piqued my interest, I never really looked into it.  I saw some more people talking about it this year, and I didn't make the mistake of ignoring it twice.  It's called GISHWHES, which stands for the quirky, a propos name "the Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen".  The more I read about it the more enamoured I grew with the idea; as a team of fifteen, one scavenges items off a giant list, a feat that involves such things as doing good deeds dressed as superheroes, making a portrait of Shakira out of coffee beans, lifting a fully decorated Christmas tree into the air with balloons, and recording all of these creative and wonderful feats via video or photography.  Last year GISHWHES even achieved Guinness World Record fame as the world's largest scavenger hunt!  Everything I read pointed to one conclusion:  GISHWHES would be the ultimate CAS project for Creativity.  And, coincidentally, a fifteen person per team requirement is perfect if one's IB class totals fifteen people.  It didn't take much to sell everyone on the idea; well, except Kathleen, but I think even she is coming around.  We even managed to convince our history teacher, Mr. Broderick, to be our supervisor and help us out.  Anyway, when I got home from school today I registered and payed the fee, which is partially to pay for the grand prize (an amazing trip to Scotland that we have no illusions of in any universe actually winning) and partially goes to charitable organizations, which is a nice touch.  Everyone else is supposedly registering before Monday, which I hope they will, although the registration deadline isn't until next Saturday so there is still a bit of leeway.  I am just so excited for this project; it'll be tough, especially for someone lacking artistic ability such as myself, but I have a feeling that it'll be a truly amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment