Friday 15 February 2013

Setting the parameters

Today I reached a streak of 48 days writing on 750 Words, and I have got to say, this second month is much, much harder than the first.  I'm finding it really hard to keep motivated, in part because of my busy schedule, but also because it's quite difficult to keep something going without an end in mind.  My first month was manageable:  I had the tangible goal of writing every day for a month, and along the way I was accomplishing the smaller goals that were rewarded with badges, such as writing for three, five, ten, and thirty days.  Now, however, I've lost those manageable little slices.  The next streak badge is not until I reach one hundred days, and the challenge of writing every day for a month sort of loses its novelty when you already did it the month before.  That's why I think that the reason for my struggle this month is because I lack direction -- I haven't really stated where I'm going with this activity or where my endpoint is -- and I therefore believe that if I decide on that, it will help me be more motivated in reaching that goal.  I need to set the parameters, if you will.

So, what's my plan?  My goal for this activity -- the end product that I'm working towards -- is to write every day for one hundred days, and, while doing this, write a total of a hundred thousand words (so a thousand words, on average, a day).  If when the beginning of April rolls around I end up deciding that I want to renew my deadline and set a new goal, that's fine, but for now, my aim is to keep this up for a hundred days, and continue to improve my writing skills and creativity in the process.  I might be in a bit of a rough patch motivation-wise, but the quality of my writing lately has been higher than usual (which I suppose might explain why I'm beginning to feel a bit inspirationally worn out).  I've been writing a lot of fiction:  a multiple-entry spanning story about a girl coping with the end of the world; the tale of a skier who dies on the mountains; a chronicle of the future told from the perspective of an island, just to name a few.  I've been writing more short stories than I have in years, and it's making me remember why, when I was younger, all I ever wanted to be was a writer.  I have different aspirations now, but I'm really glad that I have this opportunity to get back into fiction writing, because no matter how long I forget about it or for how many years I neglect it, it will always be something I love to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment